This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
You are going to love this whipped sugar scrub recipe! This DIY scrub recipe is super soft and fluffy, and will leave your skin feeling refreshed and renewed. Learn how to make this whipped citrus sugar scrub with just 2 ingredients and essential oils!
There is nothing quite like a bit of “me time” is there? A chance to relax and rejuvenate, and to feel refreshed. Often the products that we use can go a long way to making us feel this way.
The scent, the way our skin feels afterward, or just the sheer relaxation in our muscles if we are enjoying a long hot soak in the bath. However, let’s face it, sometimes these products can be pricey. So have you ever thought about making your own?
Not only does making your own products to use such as a sugar scrub which makes an excellent exfoliator make you feel good, but you know what’s in it, and you can tailor it to suit what you like.
You are going to love this whipped sugar scrub recipe! This DIY scrub recipe is super soft and fluffy and will leave your skin feeling refreshed and renewed. Perfect for use when enjoying a pampering session, to use before applying a fake tan, or even after when you are wanting to take any fake tan off.
Learn how to make this whipped citrus sugar scrub with just 2 ingredients and essential oils! Read on to find out how to make yours.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil, in solid form
- 30 drops of orange essential oil
- 7 drops of grapefruit essential oil
You can really make these your own and more personal if they are being made for gifts. Here are some of the variations you could try when making Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub:
- You don’t need to stick with the citrus theme when it comes to the scent. The two main ingredients are sugar and coconut oil, and the whipped element is down to how those two ingredients are prepared. From that point, you can add whichever essential oil you like. There are different essential oils that have different benefits in terms of scent. For example, lavender is extremely relaxing.
- You could also prolong the life of your sugar scrub. Instead of adding it to the airtight container, you could add the mixture to an ice cube tray and freeze it for around 15 minutes. These would then need to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. But the freezing process helps solidify the sugar scrub.
- This homemade whipped citrus sugar scrub will make an excellent homemade gift. Add a bow and a label to the jar and you are good to go.
How to make Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub
First of all, you need to add the sugar and the coconut oil to a bowl. Or if you are using a stand mixer, add those two ingredients to the bowl ready to mix. Switch on the stand mixer or use a hand mixer, and beat until it forms a paste-like texture.
At this stage, you will want to add the essential oils. You will then need to beat the sugar mixture for 2-3 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
Now your whipped citrus sugar scrub is ready, transfer it to an airtight container for storage.
Notes and tips
- There are, of course, different types of sugar that you can buy in the store or that you may have access to at home. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any type of sugar for this. Granulated sugar may be a little harsher compared to something like caster, but this is really down to personal preference and what you can get your hands on.
- When seeking out coconut oil you might want to ensure that you use a cold processed unrefined coconut oil. Sometimes, cooking coconut oil has been refined and some of the skin benefits may have been taken away. Organic virgin coconut oil will ensure that you get all of the skin benefits from your homemade sugar scrub.
- Be careful not to overbeat the mixture. You want to create a paste-like texture.
How long with the Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub last before needing to be used?
The average shelf life of a homemade sugar scrub is usually around six months. The tip for prolonging its life is to ensure that the lid stays on the jar as much as possible. As the jar is airtight, it preserves the oils and scrub. This also will stop the coconut oil element of the sugar scrub from going bad.
How do I store the Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub?
You will need to store the DIY sugar scrub in an airtight jar. Doing this will ensure that the oils don’t go bad.
What can I use the whipped citrus sugar scrub for?
You can use the sugar scrub while you shower or in the bath. It is a great exfoliator, perfect for reminding dead skin cells or things like fake tan.
Hopefully, this will have inspired you to make some Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub at home. Enjoy! And please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more fun crafts!
More Body Scrub Recipes:
- Unicorn Layered Sugar Scrub
- Mango Strawberry Sugar Scrub
- Lemon Lavender Sugar Scrub Cubes
- Snowberry Sugar Scrub Bars
Whipped Citrus Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil in solid form
- 30 drops orange essential oil
- 7 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Add sugar and coconut oil to a bowl to a medium bowl (or stand mixer), and beat with a hand mixer until it forms into a paste-like texture.
- Add essential oils, then beat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Store in an airtight jar.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
Created by Vickie aka The Crazy Family Mom
Vickie is the creator of A Crazy Family. She is a stay-at-home mom of a little boy with a big personality. She loves to share real food recipes, parenting tips & encouragement, fun kids activities, and so much more! Plus she is thrilled to provide you with a space to celebrate all that is awesome (and a little crazy) in the world.