This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shepherd’s Pie is a classic dinner recipe. The thing that I like about this shepherd’s pie recipe is that it’s super easy to whip together. You can make this easy dinner recipe to feed your family, and you can easily double or triple the ingredients to feed a larger crowd.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie
When it comes to comforting dishes to serve your family that you know they will all love, then you can’t go wrong with a shepherd’s pie. This is such a super easy dish to make for your family.
It is something that can be whipped up in the morning and prepared ahead of time or cooked and then reheated for when you want it. You can also cook it in real time as it doesn’t take too long to prepare and bake.
Shepherd’s pie is such a filling meal to enjoy. You have the meat layer that is packed full of vegetables and delicious flavors, topped with creamy mash. It is a great way to get extra vegetables into the kids and is often a meal that even the fussiest of eaters just can’t refuse.
We love the flavors and always look forward to making a shepherd’s pie, especially when it is a cold winter’s day. Some people shy away from it as they think it takes a lot of preparation and cooking time, but I am here to tell you it is easier than you think. So here is everything you need to know to make a shepherd’s pie.
- Ground beef
- Frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Can cream of chicken soup
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
You can find exact measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie
1. The first thing you need to do is preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Next up, add the ground beef to a skillet and brown the meat, chopping it as it cooks and making sure it is all cooked. You can then drain off the grease.
3. Peel, wash, and cut potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
4. Fill a large pot halfway with water, add your chopped potatoes, and boil until potatoes are tender and ready to be mashed.
5. Add the ground beef to a large bowl, then add in the mixed veggies and cream of chicken soup.
6. You will want to mix it all together to ensure everything is combined. You can then pour it into a 9×9 inch baking dish.
7. Once the potatoes are done, mash them. You can add a little butter, seasoning, and milk if you wish. Lastly, add the parmesan cheese and garlic.
8. Stir well, and spoon onto the top of the beef and vegetable mixture in the baking dish. Spread the mashed potato evenly.
9. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
10. Set the baking dish on a baking sheet (just in case anything bubbles over while baking), and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
11. Serve and enjoy with your chosen sides.
Tips & Tricks
- You can make this ahead of time by simply getting to the stage of putting it in the oven, then letting everything cool and storing it in the fridge for later that day or the following day. This works well if you are short on time.
- Double up the quantities to make one to enjoy now and one to freeze for another day. Your future self will thank you for being so organized.
- If you don’t want to use ground beef, then this would work well with ground turkey or lamb.
- Switch up the chicken soup for another flavor. Tomato soup will give a different flavor. You could even use gravy instead to make it taste meatier, which can work well with meats like beef or lamb.
- You don’t need to use frozen mixed vegetables for this dish. You can use whatever vegetables you like, fresh or frozen. Chopped broccoli, garden peas, carrots, sweetcorn, cauliflower, and mushrooms will all work well. Do a combination or focus on just one or two.
- Instead of white potatoes, you could make sweet potato mash instead. Try Russet potatoes, red potatoes, or Yukon Gold potatoes. Or if you are in a hurry, try instant mashed potatoes.
How should I serve the shepherd’s pie?
Shepherd’s pie is a complete meal in its own right. You have the potatoes, the protein, and the veggies. But you can make it go further and serve more people by adding a few extra sides. A side of vegetables like green beans, cabbage, or broccoli would work well. You can also serve it with a jug of gravy if you wish.
How do I store the shepherd’s pie?
If you have prepared it ahead of time, then make sure it has cooled and then cover and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If you have any leftovers, then again, they need to be cooled completely and transferred to an airtight container. You can then store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Perfect for lunches or to enjoy again.
Can I make a vegetarian version?
You can indeed. Just use a meat replacement like soy mince or Quorn. You can also just make this up by increasing the number of vegetables and utilizing cans of beans like cannellini or haricot beans.
If you are looking for a hearty and comforting dish to make, then Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect meal for you! This dish, made with ground beef, vegetables, and a creamy mashed potato topping, is sure to please both young and old alike!
Plus, it’s easy to prepare, so you can have a delicious home-cooked meal any night of the week. Give this classic dish a try today!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Ham and Potato Chowder
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Bake
- Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
I hope you enjoy making and eating your delicious shepherd’s pie. If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more delicious recipes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 12 oz package frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 26 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Add the ground beef to a skillet and brown the meat, chopping it as it cooks, then drain the grease.
- Peel, wash, and cut potatoes into 2 inch cubes.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, add potatoes and boil until potatoes are tender.
- Add the ground beef to a large bowl, then add in the mixed veggies and cream of chicken soup. Mix it all together, then pour into a 9×9 inch baking dish.
- Once potatoes are done, mash them (add a little butter and milk if you’d like), then add in parmesan cheese and garlic. Stir well, and spoon onto the top of the beef and vegetable mixture in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Set the baking dish on a baking sheet (in case anything bubbles over while baking), and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Serve hot!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.