This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are looking for an ideal busy weekday meal, then this Cast Iron Skillet Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole is the one to consider. It is super tasty, really easy to make, and very kid-friendly. The whole family is going to love it.
Does your family love tater tots? You are not alone. These small potato portions are cute and delicious and are often a staple in the freezer for many families.
Adding cheese to them and other ingredients to make this delicious casserole is a great way to use tater tots in a different way. Making a complete meal that the whole family is going to enjoy.
It can be served in so many different ways, such as a light salad or with vegetable side dishes. So you could make a big batch and enjoy a few days later with something else.
This casserole is super easy to make, and the kids will love it. The cost of creating this dish at home is fairly minimal, making it a great way to enjoy a delicious and hearty meal without blowing the food budget.
Plus, you can double up the quantities and enjoy it for lunch as well. What’s not to like?
Why We Love This Tater Tot Casserole
- The tater tots get nice and crispy, and everything just tastes so delicious.
- The way the cheese melts into the other ingredients is amazing.
- Once you bite into this Cast Iron Skillet Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole, it’s bound to become a family favorite.
- It’s simple yet very satisfying.
First of all, it is a good idea to ensure that you can get all of the ingredients together. You will need:
- Ground beef
- Garlic powder
- Can of condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Frozen peas
- Cheddar cheese shredded
- Tater tots
- Salt and pepper
How to make Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
One of the first things you will need to do is preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a cast-iron skillet, add the ground beef and seasonings. You will then need to brown the ground beef, which will take a few minutes. Give the mince a stir to ensure that you brown all of the mince.
Remove from heat and then drain the grease. You can then remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
Place a layer of tater tots along the bottom of the skillet.
Put the tater tots in the oven for 10 minutes or until the tots have thawed and begun to cook.
Squish the tots until they cover the entire bottom of the pan as a potato layer. Then put the beef mince back in the skillet on top of the tater tots.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soup and milk. Once combined, you can then add the peas and half of the cheese.
Pour the mixture over the beef. Top with remaining tater tots. Add the remaining cheese on top of the final layer of tater tots and then bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
Serve with your chosen accompaniment and enjoy hot.
- You can use whatever ground mince you like. We have used beef for this recipe, but it would also taste great with turkey or chicken mince. You could also use sausage meat if you wish.
- You could make this a veggie dish by using soy mince or even just vegetables.
- Make this with pieces of chicken for a delicious alternative to ground meat.
- Add more vegetables to the ground beef. Chop up whatever vegetables you need to use up in the refrigerator.
Notes and tips
- Making sure the first layer has time to thaw in the oven will enable you to squash and spread the tater tots to fill the cast iron skillet.
- Using the soup saves time and effort, but you can make your own homemade cheese sauce if you wish.
- All ovens vary, so keep an eye on the casserole to ensure it doesn’t overcook or burn.
Frequently Asked Questions
Knowing what to serve with a casserole can be a little tough. When it comes to this casserole, I love to saute any veggies we have on hand and serve them with it.
However, you could also add these to some floured tortillas or enjoy some fried rice with it. On a warmer day, you could also make up a salad and serve this casserole with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and other salad favorites like celery, peppers, and even chickpeas and dressing.
If you have any leftovers, then you will need to let them cool completely. You can then transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Just reheat it in the oven or the microwave and then enjoy it for lunch or another meal later in the week.
Sure you can! Just use Quorn or your preferred soy-based mince. You could also make this a completely veggie dish by cutting up vegetables, including peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, leeks, carrots, or whatever you have in your fridge. Then you could fry them off in some oil and make up the tater tot casserole as the recipe recommends.
Years ago, everyone cooked with a cast-iron skillet. However, that has changed over time. It’s time to bring those cast iron skillets back into the home with recipes like this! You can take a cast-iron skillet and make a lot of different meals with it, starting with this casserole.
You shouldn’t be intimidated by cast iron skillets. With a little seasoning, these skillets are amazing to cook in. You’ll discover cast iron skillets are one of the easiest tools to have in your kitchen. Sure, there are some amazing kitchen gadgets out there these days, but nothing will ever take the place of a cast-iron skillet.
After a long and busy day, I don’t always want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen cooking. This meal fills everyone up, but it also ensures I can spend extra time with my kids. Life is short, but casseroles like this ensure our family gets to eat well and also spend time together. It’s a win-win for everyone.
More Easy Dinners
Want delicious dinner ideas? Here are a few more of my favorites:
- Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken with Pineapple
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Cast Iron Skillet Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Baked Tilapia with Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Bacon, Cheddar, and Broccoli Casserole
I hope you enjoy making and eating your Cast Iron Skillet Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole. If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more delicious recipes!
Cast Iron Skillet Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 10.7 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup milk
- 10 ounce frozen peas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 pounds tater tots
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a cast-iron skillet, add ground beef and seasonings, brown the ground beef.
- Remove from heat, drain grease, and remove beef from skillet.
- Place a layer of tater tots along the bottom of the skillet.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until tots have thawed.
- Squish the tots, until they cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- Put the beef back in the skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soup and milk, add the peas and half of the cheese.
- Pour over the beef.
- Top with remaining tater tots
- Top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.