This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Cheese! We all love cheese, and there is nothing better than cheese that you bite into that is full of flavor, is crispy on the outside with stringy goodness on the inside.
Mozzarella sticks are just that ultimate starter, side dish, or a “just because” snack on a Friday night.
They are one of life’s simple pleasures, but you might usually find them served in a restaurant, pre-packed ready for the freezer, or deep-fried. This is where you are mistaken because I have an air fryer recipe to help you create these delicious mozzarella sticks at home.
Mozzarella sticks are seen as comfort food, and there is no doubt about that. But not all of us are so keen to make them at home. We often reserve them for meals out or a time when we are prepared to have greasy hands.
However, this air fryer recipe will help you create mozzarella sticks without the heavy use of oil and grease. A simple and healthier way to enjoy these gorgeous cheese snacks. So what are we waiting for? Let’s get right to it.
Looking for more yummy comfort food recipes? Check these out:
Baked Pumpkin French Toast Skillet
A tasty spin on the classic french toast recipe, this baked pumpkin french toast skillet is perfect for fall and those busy weekends.
Cast Iron Skillet Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
The ideal busy weekday dinner. With a few ingredients and a little time, you can give your family a nice home-cooked meal.
Ingredients needed for Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 pieces of string cheese
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- (optional) olive oil
This recipe makes 6 mozzarella sticks. Double up the quantities for more.
How to make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
The first thing you need to do is preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees.
You should also take time to prepare your air fryer ready for cooking. So line the insert with parchment paper.
Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk it for one minute. This will be your glaze for the mozzarella sticks.
Set a mozzarella stick on one corner of the egg roll wrapper, then fold the wrapper over it. When you get to the middle, fold in the sides, then continue rolling until you hit the other end.
Spoon some of the egg mixture onto the end of the wrapper to seal it, then brush the entire mozzarella stick in the egg mixture.
If you want to use the olive oil for a more “fried” taste, then this is where you would then brush your mozzarella sticks with the olive oil.
Place each of the mozzarella sticks into the air fryer and then air fry for 4-5 minutes. You will then need to flip the mozzarella sticks over and air fry them for another 2-4 minutes.
How should I serve the Air Fryer mozzarella sticks?
This is usually a lovely option for a starter or a snack and is usually served with some sort of dip. A tomato salsa, a ranch dip, or garlic mayonnaise. The options are endless, and it is totally down to your personal preference.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Make sure you prep your air fryer. The parchment paper will ensure that your mozzarella sticks stay intact and don’t stick to the air fryer basket.
- Be mindful that every air fryer is different, so if you know that your air fryer is a little faster than usual when trying other recipes, then adjust the time accordingly. You can tell a lot visually with this recipe, so you can’t go too wrong.
- The olive oil can give that taste of being deep-fried without the need to do it, and also makes them healthier. However, it is purely optional and all down to personal preference. This recipe doesn’t need you to use oil.
Variations to try
- Add some seasonings to the egg mixture. You could add things like dried herbs, salt and pepper, and even chili flakes or powder. Another great suggestion is to add some curry powder to the egg mixture to give a more distinctive flavor.
- Why not add an extra step with some panko breadcrumbs? This can add a very different texture to the mozzarella sticks and could be a taste sensation. You could add the seasons to the breadcrumbs as well.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
How do I store the air fryer mozzarella sticks?
They are easily stored once you have cooked them. Make sure they cool completely and then transfer them to an air-tight storage container and store them in the fridge. The leftovers will usually last about a week. However, they likely won’t last that long.
Can they be frozen?
Yes, the air fryer mozzarella sticks can be frozen. Again let them cool completely and transfer them to a tray to freeze. Once they are frozen, add them to a freezer bag for easy storage. Then just pop them in the oven or your air fryer to reheat them again and get that stringy goodness.
How can I reheat the Mozzarella Sticks?
You can reheat the air fryer mozzarella sticks if you have been storing the leftovers in the fridge. Place them in the oven for a few minutes, or pop them back into your air fryer to crisp them up again. You could eat them cold, but you won’t get the same effect.
I hope you enjoy making and eating your air fryer mozzarella sticks. If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more delicious recipes!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 pieces string cheese
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- olive oil optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 385.
- Line the insert with parchment paper.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk it for one minute.
- Set a mozzarella stick on one corner of the egg roll wrapper, then fold the wrapper over it. When you get to the middle, fold in the sides, then continue rolling until you hit the other end.
- Spoon some of the egg mixture onto the end of the wrapper to seal it, then brush the entire mozzarella stick in the egg mixture.
- *Optional for a more fried taste, lightly brush with olive oil.
- Air fry for 4-5 minutes, then flip and air fry for another 2-4 minutes.
- Serve hot!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
Hello, I’m Vickie aka The Crazy Family Mom!
The creator of A Crazy Family and a stay-at-home mom of a little boy with a big personality. I love to share real food recipes, parenting tips & encouragement, fun kids activities, and so much more! Plus, I am thrilled to provide you with a space to celebrate all that is awesome (and a little crazy) in the world.