This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These extremely versatile, low-carb, gluten-free Sweet or Savory Flourless “Crepes” can be enjoyed with your favorite sweet or savory fillings.
Traditional crepes are a popular French dish made with a combination of flour and eggs. However, this extremely versatile, gluten-free version omits the flour and yields low-carb wraps which are truly delicious.
Savory combinations are a great way to enjoy leftovers the next day. You can use grilled steak, roasted chicken, and/or your favorite cheese and top with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and/or roasted veggies for a quick and delicious breakfast or lunch.
My favorite way to enjoy these is by drizzling fresh strawberries and bananas with a rich balsamic glaze and homemade maple whipped cream for a yummy, sweet treat. Who could resist right?
For sweet crepes, try adding some ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and/or a drizzle of maple syrup to the batter before cooking. And for savory crepes, add salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and/or dried herbs instead.
- 6 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1-pint heavy whipping cream*
- 1-2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz. goat cheese
- 12 grape tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz. white mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons sliced green onion, green part only
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
* Directions for maple whipped cream and balsamic glaze are included below.
To Make Maple Whipped Cream:
In a large glass bowl, blend 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with a hand or immersion blender until it doubles in size and changes the texture. Then, drizzle maple syrup into the bowl and continue blending until the mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
To Make the Balsamic Glaze:
Heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually. When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use. Cool slightly before using.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FILLING?
Are you a sweet or a savory fan? What fillings do you think would work particularly well?
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
- Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles
- Spicy Portobello and Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Graham Cracker S’mores Brownie Bars
- Vegan Chocolate Crunch (Chocolate Concrete)
Sweet or Savory Flourless “Crepes”
- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons half and half
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Combine eggs, half and half, and olive oil in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. If desired, season batter with savory or sweet ingredients as described above.
- Lightly spray a 10” non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium-low heat. (You may want to adjust the heat up slightly to just below medium).
- Pour ¼ cup of the egg batter into the preheated skillet and swirl the pan to evenly coat the bottom with a thin layer. If any holes appear, add a little more batter to fill.
- Cover the pan and cook until egg batter begins to set, approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Once set, gently loosen the edges with a silicone spatula and flip the crepe, being careful to not break or tear it in the process.
- Cook for one minute more and remove crepe from pan.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Place desired filling ingredients in the center of each crepe and fold over both sides to cover.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.