Easy Coffee Popsicles for Hot Summer Days
Have you ever wanted to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee in a unique and creative way? If so, then you should definitely try making these Coffee Popsicles! With just 4 simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can have a tasty treat that’s perfect for summer days.
Coffee Popsicle Recipe
Summer is a time of the year when you want some treats that will keep you cool but also taste amazing.
And coffee, the drink that many of us reach for first thing in the morning. The drink that perks us up and wakes us up when we feel a little tired. So imagine combining coffee with a cool icy treat instead of the piping hot drink we usually associate it with?
Perfect as an afternoon snack or after dinner dessert, these coffee-infused delights offer a cool contrast to the warm weather while giving you the necessary pick-me-up boost.
If you fancy making a batch of them yourself then here is exactly what you need and how you can make them.
Coffee Ice Pop Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. Exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Ground strong coffee
- Heavy cream
Plus you’ll need a popsicle mold!
How to make the coffee popsicles
1. One of the first things you need to do is brew the coffee with ground coffee and water.
2. Add 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the brewed coffee. Now you need to cool the coffee before proceeding to the next step. A great option is to place coffee in the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
3. Microwave the remaining cream for 30-45 seconds. You want the cream to be warm but not hot. This is where you will stir in the remaining sugar.
4. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of the sugary cream to each slot in the popsicle mold. If you have any remaining cream add to each popsicle mold equally as needed. We are using a 10-slot popsicle mold for the purpose of this recipe, with the link above. However, if you have chosen to use a different popsicle mold then spread it out equally.
5. Place mold in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the cream is frozen.
6. Once frozen, pour chilled coffee over the cream to fill each slot. Add the top and place sticks in.
7. Freeze for 4-6 hours or until frozen completely. The longer you leave them the better.
8. Remove and enjoy a cool boost of caffeine on a hot summer’s day or whenever you crave a cold, refreshing treat!
Swaps and Variations
Possible substitutions you can make if you’d like to tweak these coffee popsicles:
You could make these very adult-themed and instead of using all of the cream, you can substitute a little bit of it for a creamy Irish liquor. These will make Irish coffee popsicles which could be a wonderful afternoon treat on a warm summer’s day.
If you don’t want to have caffeine during the day or prefer to limit your caffeine intake then you could look to use decaffeinated coffee instead. This way you can enjoy the coffee flavour without the worry, you will be up all night.
You could add some chocolate to the popsicle. After the layer of cream, you could add some chocolate milk. A small layer of chocolate will give the flavour of a mocha coffee. Or you could add the chocolate milk to the coffee and allow it to cool before progressing to the next stage.
Why not freeze the coffee mixture in ice cube molds instead? You could then add them to some warm milk or even enjoy them over cold milk and create a very refreshing drink.
tips, Tricks and FAQ
- Make sure you give the coffee time to cool. This will help with the freezing process.
- Freezing the cream separately is essential to get the right look for the coffee popsicles. If you miss this step you will just end up mixing the cream and the coffee together. Freezing the cream will give you that crisp white top on the popsicle.
- If you have children helping make sure you are careful when the coffee is hot. It might be worth asking them to help with the cream and pouring it into the popsicle mold so they avoid being in contact with the hot coffee.
- Make sure you give the popsicle plenty of time to freeze completely. It might be worth making these a day before you know you will want to enjoy them.
Can they be made ahead of time?
Yes, these do need to be made ahead of time. The coffee popsicles will need to be frozen and they can take anywhere between 6 and 8 hours. So make sure you give yourself plenty of time to make these so that you can enjoy them when you plan on doing so.
What’s the best popsicle mold to use?
This is our favorite silicone popsicle mold that’s perfect for homemade popsicle recipes.
How do I store the Coffee Popsicles?
If you want to store them before eating or you have any leftovers then make sure they are stored back in the freezer.
How long with the coffee popsicles last?
They will last up to six months if they remain in the freezer.
More Just For Grown-ups
I hope you enjoy making and eating your Coffee Popsicles. If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more delicious recipes!
- 1/2 cup ground strong coffee
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- Brew coffee with ground coffee and water.
- Add 5 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup of heavy cream into the brewed coffee. Place coffee in the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
- Microwave the remaining cream for 30-45 seconds. You want the cream to be warm but not hot. Stir in the remaining sugar.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons to each slot in the popsicle mold. Divvy remaining cream equally as needed. We use a 10-slot popsicle mold.
- Place mold in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the cream is frozen.
- Once frozen, pour chilled coffee over the cream to fill each slot. Add the top and place sticks in.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours or until frozen.
- Remove and enjoy a cool boost of caffeine on a hot summer day.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
Pin this recipe to save and share!