By: Vickie | Updated: 12th June 2023
This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure Policy.
Decadent and delicious, this ooey, gooey chocolate brownie pudding is every chocolate lover’s dream come true! An outer brownie shell hides a rich chocolate pudding underneath!
Updated June 2023: This post was originally published in June 2019.
If you are after an indulgent dessert, then look no further than this decadent Hot Chocolate brownie pudding. Sweet and delicious is perfect for any chocolate fan. The outer brownie shell has a crumbly texture and hides a rich chocolate pudding underneath. Not fully a brownie, but not quite pudding, it is the perfect balance of the two.
Whether you can’t wait and enjoy it hot straight from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or you warm it up in the microwave and squirt some whipped cream or pour some vanilla cream over the top, it truly is a chocolate lover’s dream.
The pudding is soft and delicious with a crumbly outer texture and is the perfect dessert for a special occasion or just when you fancy something sweet and tasty. It is such an easy recipe to follow and is surprisingly quick to recreate. The whole family is going to love it.
This Brownie Pudding is…
- ooey, gooey, and seriously delicious
- extremely easy and FAST to make!
- So darn good that I just had to share it with you
First of all, it is a good idea to ensure that you can get all of the ingredients together. Focusing on this first means that the cooking process will be simple. You will need:
- All-Purpose Flour or plain flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Cocoa Powder divided
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsalted Butter/Shortening melted
- Brown Sugar
- HOT Water
How to Make the Hot Chocolate Brownie Pudding
- One of the first things you need to do is preheat the oven to 350 ℉. This means it will be at optimum temperature when you add the pudding mix to it to bake.
- Get a large mixing bowl and sift flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and ¼ cup of cocoa powder together. Mix everything up.
- Add in your milk, vanilla, and melted butter or shortening. Give the mixture a good stir until smooth.
- Once ready, pour the pudding mixture into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your brown sugar and the remaining ¼ cup cocoa. Then sprinkle evenly over the top of your batter.
- Now pour the hot water over the entire batter. Do not stir as tempting as it is. Leave it and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, let it cool briefly before serving it with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Yum!
- Shortening is what would be traditionally used for this recipe, but butter or margarine will work just as well.
- Why not add some chocolate chips to the pudding mixture? White chocolate chips would be a great addition.
- Sift some powdered sugar across the top before serving.
- Add some fresh fruit like raspberries to the pudding mixture before baking, or serve with some fresh fruit.
Notes and tips
- What is the difference between shortening and butter? Shortening is a white, solid fat made from vegetable oils. Personally, I prefer to use butter instead, but it’s down to personal choice and what you have available. Generally, butter or margarine is a straight swap for shortening.
- Make sure you don’t stir the hot water into the pudding mixture. There is a method in the madness, but this will help get the desired texture and consistency.
- Greasing the baking dish will stop the pudding from sticking to the dish when you want to serve it up. You could use cooking spray or parchment paper on the bottom.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is the perfect pudding to serve with either ice cream or cream. You could use pouring cream or whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or your favorite flavor. You could even enjoy it as it is. Best served warm to get that gooey and delicious soft center.
If you do have any leftovers of this tasty chocolate pudding, then allow it to cool completely and then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days.
You can then reheat the pudding in the microwave and serve it with whatever you like. You could enjoy it from the fridge, but the texture and consistency won’t be the same.
Absolutely! Just use your preferred dairy-free milk and butter brand for the recipe. You could also use coconut oil as a great substitute for shortening.
You could also make this gluten-free by changing the flour to your preferred gluten-free brand. It is easy to make a few changes to make this delicious pudding right for your dietary needs and requirements.
Have a sweet tooth? More delicious desserts you may like:
I hope you enjoy making and eating your hot chocolate brownie pudding. If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and a comment below! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter for more delicious recipes!
Hot Chocolate Brownie Pudding
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour or plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder divided
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter/Shortening melted
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 ¾ cups HOT Water
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and ¼ cup of cocoa powder.
- Add in your milk, vanilla, and melted butter or shortening. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Mix together your brown sugar and the remaining ¼ cup cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over the top of your batter.
- Pour the hot water over the entire batter – do not stir!
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let it cool a little before serving with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.