This post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure Policy.
A gluten-free strawberry shortcake is a homemade dessert that is so delicious. A gluten-free shortbread that is topped with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
There is something so delicious about a shortcake stacked with fresh strawberries. It’s always such a treat!
Gluten-Free Flour | I used a gluten-free flour blend. It has a 1:1 ratio of converting. So make sure depending on the brand you buy, you know how to convert.
Whipped Cream | Now I love making homemade whipped cream. But if you want a shortcake reach for stores bought.
Strawberries | Strawberries are going to add such sweetness to this dessert. Pick brightly red and plump strawberries.
Can I Use Other Fruit
Go right ahead and use any fruit or berries you have on hand. Or get creative and do a mix of fruit to top your homemade shortcakes.
Any fruit would work, and you could even thaw frozen fruit if you don’t have any fresh fruit on hand.
Another option is reaching for a jam to spread on your shortcake if you don’t want fresh fruit.
How to Store
For the leftover shortcakes, you can store them in a cold dry place. For the shortcakes, you can store them on the counter.
Then for the topping, it needs to be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Then you can assemble your shortcake dessert and serve it up! I tend to eat my shortcakes at room temperature but if you want them to have a fresh-out-of-the-oven taste, toss them in the microwave for a quick reheat.
Can I Double This Recipe
You are more than welcome to double the recipe. This is one recipe I love to make for summer cookouts, birthday party desserts, and more.
Go right ahead and double the recipe if you want. If you don’t have room to cook all at once, then batch cook the shortcakes.
Other Topping Ideas
- Drizzle with honey
- Sprinkle on coconut flakes for more flavor
- Drizzle with a chocolate or caramel sauce
- Add a dollop of whipped cream
- More berries piled on top
- Add a few slivered almonds for a crunchy flavor
Honestly, you can decorate or dress your dessert however you would like. Feel free to play around and top your dessert as you would like.
Can I Freeze Leftover Shortcakes
If you don’t plan to eat all your shortcakes right away, you can freeze your leftovers.
Just keep the strawberries and whipped cream separate. Freeze your biscuit shortcakes in an airtight container for up to three months.
Then thaw on the counter or toss in the microwave to warm them up and then assemble with berries and whipped cream.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free flour blend Such as Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup of milk or cream for brushing
- 1 lb fresh strawberries rinsed well
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together as a dough.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of dough into mounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spray one of your palms or the bottom of a drinking glass with a nonstick spray and gently flatten the mounds slightly.
- Brush the tops of the shortcakes with cream, or milk.
- Bake the shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, until they’re risen and slightly browned on the top.
- While the shortcakes are baking, cut the strawberries into
quarters, or chop into small pieces and add to a mixing bowl. Pour over the sugar and lemon juice. Toss until the sugar is dissolved and has turned into a syrup coating the strawberries.
- Remove the shortcakes from the oven, and cool for a few minutes.
- Top half of the shortcakes with whipped cream (dolloped or piped on), and the cut strawberries. Place the other half of the shortcakes on top. Dollop or pipe more whipped cream on and top with a whole strawberry if desired.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
A Crazy Family
A Crazy Family strives to be the go-to destination for modern, savvy moms. Our aim is to share great tips, good food, recommendations, and helpful info for smart, busy moms just like you!