This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s hard to go wrong with a frittata. This versatile egg dish can be filled with just about anything, making it a perfect way to use up leftovers.
In this recipe, black beans and Spanish rice are combined for a tasty and filling frittata. If you’re looking for an easy and satisfying meal, give this frittata a try!
Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata
Sometimes you just want something quick, easy, tasty, and satisfying. Is that too much to ask?
During the week, when you have so much to do like working and commutes, children to get from one place to the next, when it comes to mealtime you can be at a loss as to what to make that you know you will enjoy. This is when this recipe will be one to remember. Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata is a great dish.
Filled with filling rice and black beans, tasty, cheesy, and with the veggie goodness of the zucchini, you can’t go wrong. Plus it is the perfect dish to customize.
I wanted to share with you the ingredients, the method, and a few different variations you can try and tips that you can make the most of. So without further ado, here is everything you need to know to help you make the delicious Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata.
Why We Love This Frittata Recipe
- Protein Packed
- Easy & Delicious
- Easily Customizable
First of all, we need to get all of the ingredients together. Having everything to hand will make this dish speedy and will have you from cooking to eating in no time at all.
For the Garnish
- You could add bacon or other leftover cooked meat to this dish to make it more of a substantial meal. Cooked bacon sprinkled into the egg, or things like cooked ham or chicken could work really well with the flavors.
- You could add other vegetables if you wanted to. Cubed potatoes would work well. You could cook them before adding the zucchini to the skillet. The potatoes will need a bit longer to brown off and cook all the way through, but the smaller you cut the pieces the faster this will happen. Other vegetables that would work well include bell peppers.
- This is a great foundation recipe to use any leftover vegetables before you go shopping again. You could use a bit of everything in this dish and the flavors will work well. Helping you to reduce your food waste.
- Another garnish to consider would be diced avocado.
For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata
Now that you have everything that you need here is how you create the Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata.
- First of all, you will need a large skillet. In the skillet cook the zucchini over medium-high heat until lightly browned. This may take a few minutes.
- Next up, get your prepared Spanish rice and your drained black beans and add them to the skillet. Stir together until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Separately, whisk the eggs with the milk and add salt & pepper. Then pour over the rice and bean mixture.
- As the mixture starts to set, lift the edges so the uncooked egg flows under. This helps to evenly cook the egg and also quickens up the process.
- Cook in the skillet until set in the middle. Now you will need to get your Monterey cheese and sprinkle it across your frittata.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Grab all of your garnishes and sprinkle on top of the frittata your tomatoes, cilantro, and green onion.
- There you have it. The Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata in very little time. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Notes and Tips
- Make sure you have all of your ingredients prepared in advance. You might also want to prepare the egg mixture before you start cooking the zucchini. With the Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata it is all about speed, so having everything to hand will make things easier.
- The skillet will get super hot, so if you are preparing with young children around you might want to serve the Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata on a separate dish or portion up before serving.
- If you prefer your zucchini to be small, you can cut the zucchini lengthways first or even into quarts if you want small bite-sized chunks.
How to Store
If you want to store leftovers then make sure you keep the frittata in an airtight container in the fridge. It would be advised to only keep it in the fridge for around 3 days.
Can you make this ahead of time?
You can make this ahead of time. This is also a dish that works well served cold, so you could easily make it up and then store it in the fridge in an air-tight container until you need it. This could be a great option for a picnic or a cold buffet in the garden.
What can I serve this meal with?
This is a great dish served on its own, but you could also add some side dishes to it. Roasted vegetables or a side of potatoes will also work well with this dish.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
Black Bean & Spanish Rice Frittata
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 – 8.8 oz pouch spanish rice prepared
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 6 eggs whisked
- ¼ cup milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese shreds
- Grape tomatoes quartered, for garnish
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Green onion diced, for garnish
- In a large skillet cook zucchini over medium high heat until lightly browned
- Stir in prepared rice and beans until combined
- Whisk eggs with milk and salt & pepper then pour over rice and bean mixture
- As the mixture sets, lift the edges so the uncooked egg flows under
- Cook until set in middle then sprinkle on cheese
- Remove from heat, garnish with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onion
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.