This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You’re going to love these hot cocoa cookies! Start with a cake mix base, then add just a few ingredients for one of my favorite winter cookies! These tasty cookies have a hint of cocoa and peppermint flavors, making them perfect for your cookie tins!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
These hot cocoa candy cane cake mix cookies are perfect for any winter occasion. Whether you’re hosting a holiday cookie exchange or just looking for a delicious dessert to enjoy with your loved ones, these cookies will not disappoint.
The combination of chocolate fudge cake mix and hot cocoa mix in the dough gives these cookies a rich chocolate flavor, while the addition of crushed candy canes adds a delightful crunch and hint of peppermint. And who doesn’t love a gooey marshmallow center?
These Christmas cookies are also incredibly easy to make, with just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep and cooking time. Plus, they store well in an airtight container, making them perfect holiday treats for gifting or enjoying throughout the holiday season.
Why You’ll Love These Cookies
- Easy recipe: with minimal ingredients and prep time.
- Perfect for any winter occasion: cookie exchanges to family gatherings.
- Rich chocolate flavor: plus a hint of peppermint and a delightful crunch from crushed candy cane pieces.
- Yummy: a gooey marshmallow center adds an extra layer of deliciousness.
- Chocolate fudge cake mix
- Hot cocoa mix
- Vegetable oil
- Baking chocolate
- Candy canes
- Use a different cake mix, such as vanilla or red velvet, for a different flavor.
- Instead of candy canes, try topping the cookies with crushed peppermint candies or holiday sprinkles.
- For a dairy-free option, use dairy-free chocolate and marshmallows in the recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large bowl
- Rubber or wooden spoon
- Cookie scoop
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Piping bag
- Ziplock baggie
- Rolling pin
How To Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
Each step for this cookie recipe is detailed below, so it’s easy to follow. If you would rather have a printable recipe, scroll down and select the print button.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine the chocolate fudge cake mix, hot cocoa mix, eggs, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Stir until a dough forms.
Use a cookie scoop to drop spoonfuls of dough onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 2-3 inches between each cookie.
Bake for 7 minutes.
While the cookies are baking, cut the marshmallows in half and crush the candy canes in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin.
After 7 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and place one-half of a marshmallow on top of each cookie. Return to the oven for an additional minute.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
In a piping bag, melt chopped baking chocolate in the microwave at 15-second intervals until smooth. Drizzle over the centers of the cookies.
Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the melted chocolate.
Let cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
Enjoy these delicious hot cocoa candy cane cake mix cookies with your friends and family this winter! They are sure to be a hit and will become a go-to recipe for any holiday gathering.
Chef’s Tip: For an extra indulgent treat, sandwich two cookies together with a layer of marshmallow fluff in between.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to preheat your oven and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. This will ensure even baking and prevent the cookies from sticking.
- Use a cookie scoop for perfectly shaped cookies that are all the same size.
- Be careful not to overbake the cookies – they should still be slightly soft when you take them out of the oven. This will ensure a soft and chewy texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use homemade hot chocolate mix instead of store-bought?
Absolutely! Just make sure to measure out 2 tablespoons of the mix for this recipe.
Can I use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini?
Yes, you can use regular-sized marshmallows, but make sure to cut them into smaller pieces before placing them on the cookies.
Can I use a different type of oil in this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute vegetable oil with canola oil, sunflower, or even avocado oil.
How long do these cookies stay fresh?
A: These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
How To Store These Cookies
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
These hot cocoa candy cane cake mix cookies are perfect for gifting during the holidays. Package them in a festive tin or box, tied with a ribbon and a printable tag with the recipe name and ingredients.
They also make a great addition to any dessert platter or at holiday parties. Get creative with your presentation and enjoy the deliciousness!
Hot Cocoa Candy Cane Cookies
- 13.25 oz box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2 tbsp 1 packet hot cocoa mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 12 marshmallows cut in half
- ⅓ cup chopped baking chocolate melted
- 2-3 candy canes crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix, hot cocoa mix, eggs, and oil to a large bowl, and stir until a dough forms.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven (see next step), and bake for 7 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, cut the marshmallows in half. Also, add the candy canes to a ziplock bag, and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- After the cookies have baked for 7 minutes, remove from the oven, and place one half of a marshmallow in the center. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional one minute.
- Remove from the oven.
- Add the chocolate to a piping bag, and heat in 15 second intervals in the microwave, until melted.
- Snip off the very end, then drizzle chocolate over the centers of the cookies. Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the melted chocolate.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
More Fun Holiday Treats You May Like
After you devour these yummy cookies… try one of these other holiday treats!
- Reindeer Sugar Cookies – With a cute and festive twist to classic sugar cookies, these adorable reindeer cookies are perfect for Christmas.
- Christmas Cracker Bark – This sweet and salty treat is amazing and couldn’t be easier to make.
- Rocky Road Candy Cups – This Rocky Road candy is easy to make and perfect for gifting.
- Snowman Buttercream Dessert Board – An adorable snowman buttercream board that is easy to make and looks impressive too!
- Christmas Tree Krispies Treats – Rice Krispies treats that look like Christmas trees, simple to make, and a fun activity for the kids!
I love keeping you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and free printables. Subscribe to our newsletter to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest!