This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Move over green bean casserole! There’s a new side dish perfect for the holidays. You are going to love this simple french style green beans side dish. It’s loaded with bacon and is always a family favorite!
Bacon Green Beans Side Dish Recipe
This bacon green beans side dish is the perfect addition to any holiday dinner menu. The combination of crispy bacon and sweet, savory sauce makes these green beans irresistible.
It is always a hit and goes with pretty much everything! Plus, it’s a quick and easy recipe that will save you time in the kitchen without sacrificing flavor.
Reasons to Love this Green Beans & Bacon Casserole
- Easy recipe – only a handful of ingredients needed and simple enough for a weeknight or holiday dinner.
- Delicious – the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors.
- Kid-Approved – no trouble for picky eaters. This dish is always a family favorite.
There are just a handful of ingredients to make this popular side dish. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the exact measurements.
- French style green beans
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Small skillet
- 2-quart casserole dish
How to Make the Green Bean Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Chop the bacon into ½ inch pieces, and cook in a small skillet over medium heat until crispy. Drain the grease.
In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Add the green beans to a large bowl and pour the mixture over them. Toss well to coat the beans evenly.
Fold in the chopped bacon, reserving a little to sprinkle on top.
Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top.
Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, and serve warm as a delicious side dish alongside your main course. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Want to add some crunch? Top with french-fried onions or breadcrumbs before baking for added texture.
- Experiment with different seasonings, such as smoked paprika, chili powder, or Italian seasoning, for a twist on the original recipe.
What to Serve with Green Beans & Bacon Casserole
This dish pairs well with any main course, such as roasted turkey, ham, or beef. It also goes well with mashed potatoes and other traditional holiday sides. As part of a gathering with friends and family or a delicious and easy weeknight dinner.
To Store: If you have any leftovers, make sure to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should keep well for 2-3 days.
To reheat: place the desired amount in a microwave-safe dish and heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Want to make this dish ahead of time? Simply prepare the green bean mixture, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day before baking. Add bacon and bake when ready to serve.
- Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed through.
Can I use fresh green beans instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh green beans, but you must adjust the cooking time. Blanch the beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes before adding them to the recipe.
What other meats can I use instead of bacon?
Feel free to experiment with different types of meat, such as diced ham, chopped turkey bacon, or even cooked ground sausage.
Can it be made ahead of time?
Yes, prepare the dish, cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate until ready to bake. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if starting from cold.
Can I double this recipe for a larger crowd?
Absolutely! Simply double the ingredients and use a larger casserole dish.
More Easy Side Dish Ideas
Looking to add more flavor and variety to your meals? Here are some other delicious side dishes:
Green Beans and Bacon Casserole
- 3 cans french style green beans
- 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop the bacon into ½ inch pieces, and cook over medium heat in a small skillet until done. Drain grease.8 slices bacon
- Melt the butter. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, and seasonings.1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Add the green beans to a large bowl, and pour the mixture over the green beans. Toss well.3 cans french style green beans
- Fold in the chopped bacon, reserving a little to sprinkle on the top.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, and sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe? Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.