This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions shared are my own. Click to view our full disclosure for more info.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Super Fun Bug Craft Ideas For Kids This Summer
During the summertime, we spend a lot more time outside and enjoying nature. The birds are out, wild animals can often be seen when you head into the woods, and bugs are always around too! Seeing all of the different types of bugs and insects can spark your child’s interest and lead to some very interesting conversations.
Once your child is inspired by all they have seen, bring them back indoors to cool off and create some of these fun bug crafts.
While they are busy having fun creating, don’t forget to share fascinating bug facts and to teach them that many critters actually have a useful purpose!
Photo Credit: “The Cutest Stinkin Ladybug Hotel ” by Pink Fortitude
How stinkin’ cute is this? The Pink Fortitude taught me a lot about ladybugs that I never knew before. After reading her tutorial post, I have decided that every garden needs a ladybug hotel! This 100% sustainable and organic material made hotel entices lovely little ladybugs to hang around for a little while instead of flying away, and you want them to stay! Keeping ladybugs can help combat aphids and other destructive pests — even fleas! One ladybug consumes upwards of sixty pests a day! Learn how to get ladybugs to stay in your yard by creating a cute hotel for them HERE.
Photo Credit: “Rock Garden Caterpillar” by Nellie Bellie
Before you head back inside to learn about bugs, have each child grab a few rocks to paint! This super cute Rock Caterpillar can be made with paint you already have laying around in your craft room or garage! Once your cute project is dry, think about letting your little ones use the rocks as a play-set instead of gluing all of the caterpillar body together! They are an adorable block alternative that little hands will love to grasp! Hurry over to Nellie Bellie to find out what you need to complete this fun bug craft project HERE.
Photo Credit: “Green Bug Slime” by Mom Luck
Oh! My! SLIME! Your kids already go crazy when they see slime, but when you add bugs into the mix, they will not be able to contain themselves! This fun slimy gross mess is a great way to keep a group entertained for hours. Stuck inside on a rainy day? Make green bug slime! Can’t go outside because of the heat wave? Make green bug slime! Mom Luck provides you in-depth details on how to make your own slime from common ingredients you have around your home and kitchen. Grab the recipe for Green Bug Slime HERE.
Photo Credit: “Golf Ball Ladybug” by Turning The Clock Back
Do you have too many golf balls laying around in your craft supplies? Turn that old thing into something new AND CUTE! Turning the Clock Back has the perfect project for all of your unwanted golf balls — ladybugs! You should turn old, unwanted, golf balls into cute hand-painted ladybugs! They are adorable! Afterward, you can set them in your garden as a decoration, print titles and use them to keep track of your spring garden vegetables, or give a set of bug golf balls to the kids for their own golf bag! There are so many options with what to do with them, but you have to make your ladybugs first! Jump over for the full tutorial HERE.
Photo Credit: “Easy Paracord Dragonfly” by Red Ted Art
Paracord has gained popularity over the last several years due to the fact that it is so versatile. Creatives have used paracord to knot together bugs, animals, and all sorts of figures! Recently, I’ve seen frogs, butterflies, turtles, and dragonflies all made from paracord and they look so neat! If you love dragonflies, check out this Paracord Dragonfly tutorial from Red Ted Art! Hop over to make a list of your supplies and read all of her tips to making this cute critter HERE.
40 Fun Bug Crafts for Kids
Is your child on a BIG bug kick? Click on the links below to read the tutorials for more than forty fun critter crafts!
I’ve even included a few links for recipes AND free printables too! Please leave a comment letting my friends know you found them at ACrazyFamily.com!
- Bug Magnets by The Country Chic Cottage
- Pinecone Butterfly by Inspiration Made Simple
- Easy Paper Butterfly by Red Ted Art
- Egg Carton Caterpillars by Skip To My Lou
- Candy Butterflies by Mom Endeavors
- Craft Stick Dragonfly by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Butterfly Straw Shooters by Inspiration Made Simple
- Ladybug Tic Tac Toe by Chicken Scratch NY
- Popsicle Stick Lizards by Mama To 6 Blessings
- Bumblebee Garden Stake by Coffee With Us 3
- Butterfly Finger Knitting by Red Ted Art
- Lady bug Hotel by Pink Fortitude
- Crepe Paper Butterfly by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Ladybug Whimsy by Mainly Homemade
- 3D Paper Lady Bug by Crafting Reality
- Green Bug Slime by Mom Luck
- Bottle Cap Lady Bug Magnet by Suburbia Unwrapped
- Golf Ball Lady Bug by Turning the Clock Back
- Toilet Paper Roll Dragonfly by Red Ted Art
- Hungry Caterpillar Craft by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Coffee Filter Ladybug by Look were Learning
- Homemade Sidewalk Chalk by Finding Zest
- Thumbprint Bug Art Flower Pot by Mom Always Finds Out
- Butterfly Button Art by Or So She Says
- Upcycled Herb Planter by Pillar Box Blue
- A is for Ant by Eating Richly
- Accordion Fold Paper Butterfly by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Handprint Butterfly by A Mom’s Inspiration
- Paracord Dragonfly by Red Ted Art
- Stick and Leaf Butterfly Craft by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Paper Towel Butterfly by Hustle Mom Repeat
- Rock Garden Caterpillar by Nellie Bellie
- Paper Towel Butterfly by Skip To My Lou
- Pipe Cleaner Snail by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Button And Pipe Cleaner Caterpillar by Coffee With Us 3
- Stick Bug by Mom Endeavors
- Butterfly Finger Puppets by Or So She Says
- Toilet Paper Roll Mini Beast by Red Ted Art
- Toilet Roll Butterfly by Look Were Learning
- Critter Cave by Mama To 6 Blessings
BONUS Worksheets & Recipes:
- Find The Bugs Worksheet by Aimee Geroux
- Bug Theme Pom Pom Match Game (Worksheet) by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Peanut Butter Bumble Bees Recipe by Eating Richly
- Ladybug Dirt Cupcake Recipe by Arts and Crackers
- Tangerine Butterfly Snack by Eating Richly
40 Ridiculously Fun Bug Crafts for Kids