If you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying alternative to fried potato chips, you are in the right place.
I am a huge fan of kale but it definitely wasn’t always that way.
It’s most definitely an acquired taste.
But the nutrition it provides is worth eating it for alone as it’s packed with vitamins and minerals.
A single cup of raw kale has:
- Nearly 3 grams of protein
- 2.5 grams of fiber
- Vitamins A, C, and K
- Minerals including phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc
- and Omega 3
This dark, leafy green can be used in so many ways, try it raw in your smoothies (with enough fruit, you don’t even taste it, I promise), steam it and serve it as a side to your main meal and my new favorite way to enjoy kale is these super easy seasoned kale chips.
Deliciously Crispy Seasoned Kale Chips
These crispy kale chips are super easy to make, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind before you begin:
The first consideration is finding the right combination of oven temperature and cooking time. These chips will burn very quickly, so keep a close eye on them, especially the first time you make them.
Here, a 325-degree oven and 6-7 minutes were all that was needed to yield crispy chips that weren’t soggy or overly bitter and brown.
However, you’ll want to test this closely in your own oven to find the right balance.
Next, the kale needs to be completely dry before popping it in the oven. Moisture left on the leaves can create steam, which leads to soggy chips.
Also, don’t overdo it on the olive oil. Add a small amount and massage it in until each leaf is very lightly coated. If more oil is needed, add it in very small increments until each leaf is coated.
Finally, feel free to experiment with any combination of seasonings you desire.
Basic sea salt is perfect on its own, but in this case, the addition of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and ground cumin adds a little more depth to the flavor.
Crispy Seasoned Kale Chips
- 2 large bunches kale tough stems removed and torn into chunks
- 1½ – 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set aside.
- Wash kale leaves and dry completely before adding to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to combine while rubbing each leaf with your fingers to make sure it is evenly coated in oil.
- Sprinkle the smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cumin on top of kale and season with sea salt, to taste. Toss until evenly combined.
- Arrange seasoned kale leaves on your prepared baking sheet in a single layer, being careful to not overcrowd them. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake for 5-6 minutes before rotating the pan. Bake for another 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove chips from the oven when they are still mostly green, with only a tiny bit of brown developing.
- Let chips sit for 2-3 minutes to crisp up a bit more before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, is intended to serve as an estimate only, and is provided for informational purposes. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Click stars to rate now! Or leave a comment below.
Vickie aka The Crazy Family Mom
Vickie is the creator of A Crazy Family. She is a stay-at-home mom of a little boy with a big personality. She loves to share real food recipes, parenting tips & encouragement, fun kids activities, and so much more! Plus she is thrilled to provide you with a space to celebrate all that is awesome (and a little crazy) in the world.