This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make this super cute farmhouse-style stacking tray in under an hour. This simple craft will cost you less than $5 to make! It will be perfect to hold all of your farmhouse decor.
Table of Contents
If you are hoping to make something decorative for your home, then this Dollar Store Farmhouse Stacking Tray is something you have to try. Perfect for anybody who wants to try some woodwork, create something stylish for their home, and enjoy the process.
While this craft may not be something you would let your children do, once the stacking tray is created, you could allow them to paint and decorate the box as a keepsake for their bedrooms.
However, if you want to keep something just for you, then this is an excellent introduction to word work. A little bit of manual work is required using a saw to cut the chunky slat to size, but then it is simply assembling and decorating.
If you want a decorative stacking tray for your home, this is the craft for you. It could be used for jewelry, special memories, or even to hide remotes in your living room or to have a space for them so they never get lost. The options are endless.
Everything needed to make Dollar Store Farmhouse Stacking Tray
First of all, to make things easy, gather everything you need together and set it out on a flat work surface. A table is ideal for this.
- 3 sizes of wooden decorative boxes (DT)
- 12” chunky slat (DT)
- Wood glue
- White paint
- Foam brush
How to make the Dollar Store Farmhouse Stacking Tray
- Cut the chunky slat in half using a saw.
- Apply wood glue to one end of one of the cut pieces of chunky slat. Set it in the middle of the inside of the largest decorative box and hold it for a minute to help secure it.
- Apply glue to the top of the chunky slat that you just glued down. Centre the middle-size decorative box on top of the chunky slat. Gently press down to allow the glue to bind.
- Apply glue to one end of the remaining half of the chunky slat. Set it in the middle of the inside of the medium-sized decorative box and hold it for a minute to secure it.
- Apply glue to the top of the chunky slat that you just glued down. Centre the smallest decorative box on top of the chunky slat. Gently press down to allow the glue to bind.
- Allow to glue to set and bind everything together overnight.
- Squeeze some white paint out of the bottle onto a paper plate. Dip the very tip of the foam brush into the paint and lightly apply paint over the entire structure. If you do not want a full layer of paint, make sure to paint it lightly for the whitewashed effect.
- Allow the paint to dry, then fill the boxes with decorations.
Notes and Tips
- Be careful when using a saw to cut the chunky slat to size. If you haven’t used one before or you don’t feel confident, then you could ask someone else for help and guidance.
- Protect the area where you work to avoid any wood glue or paint damaging a table or work surface.
- If children are helping with painting and glueing then you may want to supervise them.
Variations to try
- Different sized boxes will create different looks. You could use this process for other larger boxes and storage for your home once you get the hang of things.
- Paint the trays in different colours to suit your home. We have gone with paint for that classic white washed look but you can get as creative as you like. You could also decorate the boxes with different things such as jewels or materials.
What age range is this craft suitable for?
This is more a craft suitable for adults but children can get involved to help at the later stages. Older children could easily glue the pieces together and younger children could help decorating and painting the trays when they are ready.
What if I don’t have all of the supplies?
This is quite a specific task, but you can change things up with different sized trays or boxes to create something a little different.
Hopefully, this will have encouraged you to give the Dollar Store Farmhouse Stacking Tray a try.